Wednesday, February 25, 2009

down to the felt

I've busted out in my 30K Challenge attempt. I was able to built it up to almost $60 playing $5 HU NLHE SnG's. But after trying to "take a shot" at $10, and taking some bad beats, and making bad decisions to chase my losses, I'm down to the felt. I'll put Pokerstars on hold for now due to tight finances(huge impending property tax payment on my house). But when April/May comes around when the bills are paid, I'll reload some real $ and fully dedicate myself to playing regularly online.

So the only thing I have to look forward to now is our regular home games(which isn't so regular as our last game was 3 weeks ago). But this past week, we did have a game going. The liquor was definitely flowing freely, and eventhough intoxicated, my game was good. I was calm, thinking very straight, observing the action, and lastly but most importantly: the alcohol made me more aggressive than usual. I can't remember the last time I shoved all-in so much, and not always with the best hands either. Throughout the night, my reads were good; I pushed when I sensed others were weak, value bet marginal hands, and made good laydowns.

There were however two mistakes I made that night. One worked in my favor, the other not so much. The first was against Dave where I picked up As Js in early position. I decide to min-raise, and get two callers. Action comes to Dave who reraises. Maybe it was the alcohol, but I reraised All-in. I didn't give Dave much credit for a hand(my mistake) cuz I put him on a pretty wide range. I knew my As Js isn't a monster, so I was hoping my tight image and the 3rd raise would push him out. He ends up calling and shows Nines. Turn brings me a Jack and I pick up the pot. Sorry Dave.

In another hand, it was me picking up the dreaded pocket nines. Last betting round and eventhough there were 2 overcards on the board, I decide to value bet my 9's on the river cuz I was fairly certain it was still the winning hand. Except I was reraised All-in by John. I muck my cards face up and he shows King high. Sick. I knew I should of trusted my initial read.

Overall Net Gain: $4

Probably no game next week cuz Rich, Jose and John are heading up to Tahoe to snowboard. I would love to go up since I only went twice this season, but I can't. Fuck, I do miss boarding tho.

1 comment:

  1. I'm still curious which one of us can read cards better. I know I put you on the AK, which was close to you AJ. Next time, I will bring my A game.

    ReplyDelete