Sunday, December 21, 2008

8001

Out of a field of 26,000 plus players in the Sunday Hundred Grander, I placed 8001. Obviously, I wasn't too pleased with my showing. 

Early on, I was really happy with my play. We all started with 3000 chips, and following the smallball strategy, I built my stack up to 7K, picking up small pot after small pot, without risking my stack. Then I played one hand with an idiot beginner sitting to the left of me dropped my stack to 2K. I had AQ. He had KJ. The flop comes out Q 9 5. He leads out and I check raise him 4x his bet and he insta-calls. 

Turn: K
I wasn't too happy to see this obviously. The only card I was afraid of seeing. I didn't know he had a straight draw, so the 10 didn't scare me. In the back of my mind, I knew I was beat, cuz I observed this guy play and he would only play Aces, Face cards, and pockets. He made small bets and priced me in to see the river, but no Ace or Queen at the river to save me. 

So I was down to about 2K, and was struggling with the blinds to stay afloat. I was then down to about 1400 and picked up pocket 4's. I went all-in and got two callers. Flop 3d 9d 7s. Turn 8s. River 6d. I totally thought I was dead. Any 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 woulda killed me. But neither player had anything and I tripled up to 4500. 

I battled with the idiot beginner(who won many lucky pots) many times and was up and down. At last our table disbanded and I was glad to get away from him because he was just too damn lucky all the time. 

At the new table, there were many "big stacks" with 20K or more who kept applying the pressure with raises. I had only about 4K, so I had to choose when to pick my spot and go all in. Blinds were 300/600 with 50 antes.  I pick up 9c 10c. One of the aggressive raisers only made it 1200 to go. I figured if I called then 30% of the stack is already committed, so I reraise all-in. He calls and shows AA. I don't get any help from the board and I'm eliminated in 8001 place. Thinking back, I should have been cautious of the mini-raise, but didn't give the raiser credit for a hand. So note to self: Be cautious of the mini-raises preflop. 

My only comfort is the idiot beginner who I constantly tangled with earlier finished in 8819 place. Proving my conviction that he was a beginner. Man, if I had his stack of 20K, I woulda went far into the tournament and probably cashed. 


2 comments:

  1. dang dude, u must have played for about 6 hours in that tourney.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I only played 2 hrs sadly. The time I finished in 63rd lasted 6 hrs. The winner was decided in 9 hrs.

    ReplyDelete